We have fielding many inquiries from the PSOs regarding COVID 19.
This situation is one that has been involving significantly over the past 48 hours, with many events and programs being suspended or cancelled. As PSOS, we understand that you are looking for direction.
Here’s what we know:
While there are still no cases of COVID-19 in Prince Edward Island, the Chief Public Health Office is issuing new recommendations in efforts to limit the potential number of cases and spread of COVID-19.
- Any Islanders who have travelled outside of Canada (whether experiencing symptoms or not) are required to self-isolate for 14 days following their return. This includes teachers, students and health care workers.
- Cancel all non-essential travel outside of country.
- Reconsider attending social gatherings where a 2-meter distance is not possible, especially if the elderly or immune-compromised people are present.
The Chief Public Health Office continues to work closely with the federal government, provincial and territorial counterparts, government departments and Health PEI to continue to monitor the situation globally, nationally and locally. The public health risk of COVID-19 is continually reassessed and Islanders will be updated as new information becomes available.
Government’s special situation response group also continues to work collaboratively with the Chief Public Health Office, stakeholders and community partners in preparing for all impacts related to COVID-19 to the province, including health, social and economic.
Everyone is encouraged to follow routine prevention measures:
- Washing hands frequently with soap and water
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow or a tissue
- If ill with acute respiratory symptoms, stay home if possible
- Limit touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Don’t share items like drinking glasses and water bottles
- Frequently clean surfaces like taps, doorknobs and countertops
Islanders with questions about COVID-19 should call PEI’s toll-free information line at 1-800-958-6400. The information line is taking messages 24-hours a day, 7 days a week and Islanders who leave messages will receive a call back within 24 hours from the Chief Public Health Office.
We are communicating with the Department of Health and Wellness. As this situation evolves it may be necessary for further restrictions.
Please check the government’s website for updates as they occur: https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/topic/covid-19